Shareholders record second strike against Westpac

20 December 2019

Elizabeth Pfeuti

Latest News

Australia narrows climate reporting scope mid‑rollout

Minerva Proxy Update

Follow This challenges Shell days before key vote

SRD III is Europe’s chance to fix proxy plumbing

SEC Steps Closer to Unwinding Climate Disclosure Rules

Minerva Proxy Update

Featured Briefings

Australia Proxy Season Review 2025

2026 Proxy Season Preview

Diversity Divergence: Shareholders Steadfast Amid Pervasive Political Posturing

Furious Westpac shareholders have slapped a second strike on the bank, as investors confronted the firm for the first time since its child sex and money laundering scandals.

At the Australian bank’s AGM in Sydney on 12
December, an overwhelming 35%
of shareholders voted against the company’s remuneration report – resulting in
a second strike.

The first strike occurred at last year's AGM, after two-thirds
of shareholders voted against the amount Westpac executives were being paid in
light of the "fee for no service" scandal uncovered at the
banking royal commission.

While both strikes formed a board spill motion,
the embattled bank has so far managed to avoid this from happening after more
than 90% of votes cast rejected to sack the entire board.

The latest AGM came just a month Australia’s foremost financial intelligence agency, Austrac, launched legal action against Westpac – accusing it of more 23 million breaches of anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism finance laws involving $11bn in transactions, including transfers potentially linked to child exploitation and sex abuse.

In a statement, Austrac said Westpac had failed to
“carry out appropriate due diligence on customers sending money to the
Philippines and South East Asia for known child exploitation risks”.

This led to the forced resignation of the company’s chief executive Brian Hartzer, although he still walked away with a $2.7m payout, albeit with no bonus.

Speaking at the AGM, incensed
attendee Dr Peter Brandon, head of activist group Banking Reform Now, told
Westpac’s board that it “did not deserve to continue in its current form”.

Westpac Chairman Lindsay Maxsted, who
has brought forward his retirement following the scandals, spoke with remorse
at the AGM, stating that bank – which is one on the largest in Australia – had
let investors down.

Trying to placate shareholders, he said the
board had taken a 20% pay cut,
and reduced some of its short-term bonuses to zero, while the firm was working to ensure these recent
disasters never occurred again.

While all Westpac directors up for re-election
at the AGM dodged an ousting, director Peter Marriott clocked a low 58% vote in
favour of staying put – compared to the industry standard of 90%.

Related Stories

Minerva Proxy Update

May 15, 2026
Read More

Minerva Proxy Update

May 2, 2026
Read More
AGM

BP’s AGM votes: governance opacity, not just protest

April 24, 2026
Read More
AGM, Shareholer Proposals, Proxy Season

Minerva Proxy Update

April 24, 2026
Read More

ExxonMobil’s Retail Voting Programme, Texas Redomicile and the Architecture of Shareholder Disempowerment

April 13, 2026
Read More